Top 10 Tips to Help Children Enjoy Reading
1. Make books part of your life – Always have books around so that you are ready to read whenever there’s a chance.
2. Join your local library – Ask your parents to get you a library card. You’ll find the latest blu-rays and DVDs, plus tons and tons of fantastic books. There is a wide variety to choose from.
3. Find your interests – Library staff will help you find the right book – it doesn’t matter if it’s fiction, poetry, comic books or non-fiction.
4. All reading is good – Don’t discount non-fiction, comics, graphic novels, magazines and leaflets. Reading is reading and it is all good.
5. Get comfortable! – Make sure that you have somewhere comfortable to go when reading alone.
6. Ask yourself questions – To keep yourself interested in the story ask yourself questions. ‘What will happen next?’ or ‘Where did I get to last night? Can you remember what has happened already?’
7. Read whenever you get the chance – Bring along a book or magazine for any time you have to wait e.g at the doctors or dentist.
8. Read again and again – Re-read favourite books and poems. Reading books again helps to build up fluency and confidence.
9. Bedtime stories – Regularly read at bedtime. It’s a great way to end the day.
10. Rhyme and repetition – Books and poems which include rhyme and repetition are a fun and exciting way to encourage you to remember the words.